Thursday, March 24, 2016

Happy (un)birthday IGGPPC! (a love letter of sorts)

Last week the International Geek Girl Pen-paling club celebrated it's third birthday! I joined the club a year ago and was quickly paired with my own iggle (that's wbat members call themselves). The penpals are disburse dafter monthly rounds which are usually themed and sign up is easy. After visiting the website (here), you are asked to fill out a short form with your name and email, and provide five of your geeky interests.

I just signed up for another penpal and my list included:

• Disney


• Horror films
• Comic Books
• Reading
• Kawaii

My first penpal and I were featured on the IGGPPC blog this month as part of their birthday celebration.to learn more about our story click here.In the year I have known Bree we have become close friends through lengthy letters, social media, and texts. This year we opened our christmas gifts on Skype so we could see each other's reactions. I am always amazed with how thoughtful she is and we have gained a deeper friendship because we can be more open, honest, and build a connection through snail mail.We live in such a digital age that it is actually nice to sit down and plan a letter. Alas, Geek Girl Penpals is more than a group of hardcore lady types who share a love of stationary goods, it is also a community of like minded individuals that are extremely active on social media. The club hosts events for everything including read-a-longs, movies, and even a digital summer camp. If I have ever wanted to discuss fandom but find that none or few of my IRL friends share that interest (like my current obsession Zodiac Starforce) the iggles are always a tweet away to indulge my nerdy whims. When I was hospitalized (see last entry). Bree organized a valentines/galentines/get well card drive for me. It meant a lot to receive that many cards from the iggles.

I also received two drawings from the lovely Whimsy and Noir (who is also an iggle) and I have Jem makeup in the smaller one. I also have a strange desire to die my hair blue and orange now!

Are you a member of the IGGPPC? Have you ever had a penpal?

No comments:

Post a Comment