Saturday, March 8, 2014

This Blog Just Got a Bit Glitch-y (Cosplay in Progress)

It's officially my first day of Spring  Break! After spending the majority of my morning laying in bed and watching Attack On Titan via Netflix, I decided to start working on My Vanellope Von Schweetz cosplay.  I am hoping to have this costume done by Dallas Comic Con in May.
                                                          (image by Disney/Pixar)

I decided that I wanted to work on a Vanellope costume the second time I saw the film because that is when I truly fell in love with the character. I loved that she was a Glitch in the game Sugar Rush and seemed to be a dose of sarcasm in the sugary sweet world. After searching E-Bay for about a month, I was unable to find any pre-made hair clips that I felt would be *perfect* for the bits of candy and sprinkles in her hair.  I decided it would probably be best to make my own.  Luckily,  my problem was soon solved when I found jelly bean shaped beads. Almost every crafter knows that glue guns are the secret to creating magic..

so this morning, I put on my Pikachu Kigurumi (Because I am *such* a serious person) and set to work.
(yes, I took a picture to back it up)

I gathered my supplies while my hot glue gun heated up.

Which Included:
  • One Ad-Tech mini Glue Gun from walmart ( I feel compelled to brag about my glue gun having a zebra print design which makes me a huge crafting dork.)
  • One mini glue stick (I think these were Ad-Tech brand as well)
  •  Bobby Pins  (I used basic black ones and actually need to buy more)
  • Jelly Bean Beads ( Multiple colors from E-Bay $4.00 Including shipping gets you 24 beads)
  Simple right?

Basically, it took about 15 minutes to attach the beads to the black bobby pins. This can be done by applying a small dot of glue to the closed end of the bobby pin and then placing the  bead on top of it. once you have placed the bead hold it in place until the glue hardens. I actually placed my beads differently (some up and down and others sideways) this is because the bits of color that are in Vanellope's hair are not perfectly symmetrical. Some of the glue might create what I call "gluey webbies" or strands. glue imperfections tend to peel off easy, so don't be too worried about it if this happens.

If you were wondering, this is what the beads look like before they are glued to the pins.




and this is what the finished product looks like when in my hair. Keep in mind I will be adding a lot more because some were not finished drying and I ran out of pins.


The pins will actually be more camouflaged  and there are more colors as well. I just wanted to take a photo to give myself a better idea of how they actually look in my hair.




No comments:

Post a Comment